Posts tagged flowers
Posts tagged flowers
I have wondered about this for so long.
Six amazing orchids that look like animals:
- Monkey Face Orchid (Dracula simia) - These rare orchids only grow in the cloud forests of southeastern Ecuador and Peru at elevations of 1,000-2,000 meters on the side of mountains. Smells like a ripe orange.
- Bee Orchid (Ophrys apifera) - It resembles a female bumblebee visiting a pink flower to attract the attention of male bees.
- Pink Moth Orchid (Phalaenopsis sp.) - Looks like it has a little bird’s head guarding the flower nectar.
- White Egret Orchid (Habenaria radiata) - The flower looks like the bird is spreading its fluffy white feathers, getting ready to take off.
- Holy Ghost Orchid(Peristeria elata) - has a beautiful dove shaped center.
- Flying Duck Orchid (Caleana major). It’s a small orchid, about 50 cm tall, that grows in eastern and southern Australia.
^These are so cool! Orchids are an amazing group of plants — they are often highly endemic and specialized; many have very specific mutualisms with insects and fungi. Unfortunately, this high degree of specialization means they are vulnerable to extinction.
flower exposed to radiation from Fukushima nuclear facility Japan
This picture was taken before the Fukushima disaster. Sometimes nature happens.
I am a potato in a field of flowers.
these are potato flowers. do you feel better about yourself now?
this is the most uplifting thing one of my posts has ever been blessed with
Living Stones (Dinteranthus vanzylii). Living stones are unusual succulents that have evolved to resemble the pebbles and rocks that litter their native habitats through southern Africa. Structurally, living stones are comprised of two fused leaves above ground that connect to an underground stem with a long root. The leaves are extremely thick and the degree of fusion depends on the species
Photo credit: © Etwin Aslander
Using a combination of high speed photography and precise paint splashes, artist Jack Long creates liquid flowers, which are basically paint that has splashed in such a way and captured at the right moment that it looks like a flower.
Even more impressively, a lot of the pieces depict flowers in vases, rather than just the flower itself.
Pretty floofy gold dragon, with a rose, sitting in a gorgeous forest.
We love the dandelions
Special picture <3
(Source: southernfascination, via )